For over 250 years, one UK city has built its reputation for creating more than its fair share of world firsts. Guess which city that is?
For much of the time it existed, Manchester was a manorial township, with peasants working the fields for the Lord of the Manor. It was only during the turn of the 19th century that Manchester underwent a transformation, and grew at an astonishing rate. This expansion and urbanisation was brought on by a boom in textile manufacturing during the Industrial Revolution, and resulted in Manchester becoming the world’s first industrialised city.
Today, Manchester is known as the UK’s second city. With 50% growth in the last 10 years, it is the UK’s fastest-growing city and Europe’s second largest creative tech hub. Around 70,000 people now work in the city’s creative, digital and tech industries and a rich talent pool of over 110,000 thinkers thrive in the four leading universities there.
Many defining achievements in science and technology come from Manchester. It’s where the world’s first IVF baby was conceived, where they split the atom and isolated graphene. It’s also where the world’s first stored programme computer was built. A total of 25 Nobel prize winners have come out of Manchester!
Massive amounts of investments have gone into Manchester as part of the British government’s Northern Powerhouse push. Starting from this year, £1 billion will be spent to transform the Manchester airport, further establishing Manchester as one of the most connected cities in the world. The city already boasts direct connections to many of the world’s major capitals, like New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and Beijing. The new High Speed Rail (HS2) under construction will cut travel time between Manchester and London from the current 2 hours to just over an hour when it is ready, and, in its second phase, also reduce the time required to travel to Birmingham and Leeds.
Manchester’s staggering development makes it an attractive place for investors looking for the next big thing to invest in. Property, in particular, is a solid choice as there is a growing demand for housing in the city. Manchester registered a 7.3% increase in house prices over the past year, topping the list of all cities in the UK. This demand is bound to rise even higher as Manchester’s economy grows, and more and more jobs are needed.
This video captures the essence of Manchester as the original modern city of the UK:
Facts and figures about Manchester:
- Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution
- Where the world’s first IVF baby was conceived
- 25 Nobel prize winners
- Where they split the atom and isolated graphene
- Where the world’s first stored program computer was built.
- Population of 2.7 million people
- Over 200 languages
- With 50% growth in the last 10 years, Manchester is the UK’s fastest-growing city and Europe’s second largest creative tech hub
- Around 70,000 people now work in the city’s creative, digital and tech industries
- A rich talent pool of over 110,000 thinkers from four leading universities.
- Between 2015 and 2017, over £1 billion was spent on the city’s infrastructure.
- Direct flights to many of the world’s cities, e.g. New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing etc.
- Called the UK’s second city
- Global exporters of world-class culture as well as technology; a city united by a passion for sport and music
- One of the world’s best places to visit in 2015 — the only British city to be given this accolade by the New York Times
- Home to some of the world’s biggest brands which contribute to Manchester’s £50 billion economy.
Article by Ian Choong
CSI Properties (Cornerstone International) proudly markets international investment property with high yields at low risk. Our portfolio comprises residential and purpose-built student property in cities across the United Kingdom (London, Luton, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, York, Glasgow, Scotland; Sheffield, etc); Australia (Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane) and Thailand (Bangkok). Our projects are concentrated in high-growth areas with great educational, infrastructural and job growth potentials. We aspire to make a difference in the lives of our clients by helping them achieve their investment goals through strong market research backed by third party experts and due diligence.
Disclaimer: CSI Properties does not provide tax & legal advice and accepts no liability. Readers are encouraged to consult a qualified tax or legal advisor for a thorough review.
Need advice or clarification? Call us for more information and/or to find out about our projects! Hotline: 03-2162 2260